Farm worker crashed on Hereford main road after drinking vodka

A FARM worker has been banned from the roads after crashing in a busy Hereford street.

Anthony Paul Halladay admitted drink-driving when he appeared before magistrates in Hereford.

Police were called to reports of a crash in Hereford’s Victoria Street at 12.25pm on March 29, prosecutor Ralph Robyns Landricombe said.

The offending car, a Land Rover Freelander, had been driven from the scene before coming to a stop in Blueschool Street.

Police spoke to driver Halladay, who they noted was unsteady on his feet and had glazed eyes, and he was arrested after failing a roadside breath test.

An evidential test in custody revealed he had 134 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

In interview, Halladay said he had gone for a drive after leaving work that day to clear his head.

The 47-year-old, who told officers that he uses alcohol to self-medicate his depression, said he had gone to Tesco in Bewell Street, where he had bought vodka, before the crash.


Chris Read, for Halladay, said he had travelled into Hereford after leaving work at about 10am that day.

“He parked by the river and walked to Tesco, where he bought some vodka before returning to the riverside,” Mr Read said.

“Eventually he decided to go home, but as he got to Steels, a car came out of Whitecross Road and the two cars crashed. Nobody is going to stop in that position in front of Steels, so he went around the roundabout and pulled in to a bus stop, where he waited for the police to arrive. ”

The court heard farm worker Halladay’s employers had put a plan in place to allow him to continue his employment through a mandatory driving ban and that he had already sought help from mental health services.

Halladay, of Stoke Lacy, Bromyard, was handed a 12-month community order with a 12-month alcohol treatment requirement, banned from driving for thirty months, and fined £80. He must also pay costs of £135 and a £95 victim surcharge.

Hereford Times