Victim was bludgeoned with wheel brace outside Herefordshire shop

A LEOMINSTER dad has been jailed for six months after he attacked a drunken man with a wheel brace when he went to the shop to buy milk.

Worcester Crown Court was shown CCTV footage of the attack outside Spar in Bargates, which left the victim with a head wound after being hit with the brace five times by Stuart Anthony Tucker.

Prosecution barrister Kiran Pourawal said victim Richard Griffiths had left the shop at 7.45pm on October 11 after buying a pack of cigarettes for his partner, and by his own admission was “drunk and gobby”.

Tucker then arrived at the shop, parking outside, before a row started with Griffiths. The court was told on January 8 how Tucker had got back into his car before reversing about one metre and getting back out. He then went to the boot and rummaged around for the metal wheel brace.

CCTV footage played to the court showed how Tucker had pushed Mr Griffiths up against the wall of the shop before he was hit five times with the brace, causing cuts to his head.

His knee and hip were also bruised in the fight, which led to Mr Griffiths needing time off work.

Defence barrister Mark Thompson said Tucker had been struggling with his mental health after he stopped taking his medication due to frustrations about no one listening to issues around housing and seeing his child.

He said Tucker, who pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing actual bodily harm, was “disgusted”

with his actions and had been “having nightmares” over the CCTV footage.

Mr Thompson said that although Tucker, 37 of Holland Road in the town, left after the attack, he did

return and was apologetic to the victim.

He also argued a prison sentence should be suspended as he and his wife both suffer with health problems and are co-dependent on each other.

Jailing Tucker, who has previous convictions for violence, judge Nicholas Cartwright felt he would not have attacked Mr Griffiths if he had been taking his medication.

Hereford Times